In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Trophy Friends have songs in their hearts for musician with ALS

Friends have songs in their hearts for musician with ALS
By Luke Mundo | Special to the Tribune
September 20, 2007

When career musician Eric Lowen was diagnosed with Lou Gehrig's disease on St. Patrick's Day 2004, the father of five children faced the burden of his growing medical expenses as well as the ravages of his illness.

So longtime friend and fan Janet Narish decided that the best way to help Lowen was to give back through music. An acoustic benefit show will begin at 5 p.m. Saturday in Club 1026, 1026 S. State St., Lockport, and a portion of the proceeds will go to the Chicago chapter of the ALS Association. The medical term for Lou Gehrig's disease is amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.

"In addition to being a wonderful person, Eric has also written, composed, sung and played music that has provided healing, hope and inspiration to so many people, myself included," Narish said.

This is the second year for the benefit show, which has grown from a year ago. "Last year I had the show in my back yard," Narish said.

The show will feature more than 10 acts and an opportunity to win some special music prizes, such as a CD autographed by Brian May of Queen and an acoustic guitar signed by Fountains of Wayne.

Due to the effects of ALS, Lowen is no longer able to play guitar. He continues to sing with his musical partner Dan Navarro.

The suggested donation to attend is $15, which will cover appetizers, a drink ticket and a raffle ticket in addition to the live music. The event is for those 21 and older. Call 630-768-8477 or see www.myspace.com/eveningofacoustic for more information.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,1091598.story

ALS/MND Registry

BobbyB is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote