View Single Post
Old 09-20-2007, 10:32 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default 24 days is quite an early diagnosis.

Flavio,

Welcome, sorry it is because your wife was diagnosed with RSD. A few things you need to know, being an understanding husband I would say is number one. You should explain what you have learned to your family, so they believe your wife when she complains about her pain or the fact that she can't sleep and how tired she is. She won't feel like cooking some days or like doing any household chores. Most families say they understand but when this goes on for years, they make remarks such as you would feel better if you exercised more or do you think you really have to take all of those medications and there is also the if you got more sleep you would feel better. Believe me I think I have heard them all and then some in the 8+ years I have had RSD.

You had ask if 24 days was an early diagnosis, you bet it is. I was diagnosed 4 months after I fractured my right foot and I felt that was a fairly early diagnosis. You also ask how to keep RSD from spreading, the only way I have heard is to have nerve blocks done as early as possible, this doesn't prevent spread so much as could possibly put the patient into remission. The nerve blocks are done usually in a series of 3 or 6 depending on your pain management doctor. I personally had blocks done in a series of 3, I didn't go into remission but the only spread I have had so far is from foot to ankle and maybe the shin.

As far as PT or OT preventing RSD from becoming a crippling disease, IMHO it doesn't make any difference, if it's going to happen it will. Not everyone that has RSD is in a wheelchair, walks with a cane etc. There are some that are still working, I think it depends on the individual. I wouldn't worry so much about stages as your wife is very early into this. I think you should be honest with your wife, this is her body and she deserves to know what she may or maynot be facing.

Good luck and God bless. If you ave any other questions you can personal message me and I would be more than happy to try to answer your questions.

Barb2406

Knowledge is power!

RSD since 1999 right foot and ankle from fracture of 2 bones, after stepping in a hole at an apartment complex while visiting a hospice patient. Again hunting for a new PMD.
Barb2406 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote