View Single Post
Old 09-20-2007, 11:01 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Hello Flavio,

I am sorry to hear about your wife, every time someone gets this diagnosis it is truly devastating. However, you are off to a good start getting a diagnosis this early on, I have read that the first six months are "early", and I truly hope that your wifes condition is reversible. I donīt really know the answers to your questions since I only have my own condition to relate to, but as I understand it, there are a few things that you can and should do.
First, obviously, is to control the pain as good as possible, with the help of a good doctor. There are a lot of different medicines out there that can help, from normal painkillers to medicins developed for epilepsy, depression etc that help in managing the pain. It takes time to find the right combination, but it is so important to stop the pain, at almost any cost.
Second, it is very important to try to keep up the range of motion in the arm. Is your wifes hand/arm in a cast/immobilized? Again, find a good doctor that really knows about CRPS, and ask if it is maybe possible to have a brace that you can open, because it is really important to keep the blood moving in the arm and prevent the arm from swelling. Every little movement that your wife can do without pain is helpful, if it is rolling the shoulders or bending a finger - if she can do it without pain, then keep doing it as much as possible! If it starts to hurt, then stop. If she is able to touch her skin without pain, then make her do that, or maybe you can do it for her. Massaging the fingers, moving some soft cloth/textile over the skin, putting the fingers/hand in handwarm water and moving the fingers in the water could help reduce swelling. Using skinlotion to keep the skin soft and give painfree stimuli to the nerves can also help. These things might sound silly and you may not see results for a long time, but it is important to give the nerves stimuli/impulses from the arm that are not painful, and slowly convince the nerves that not every touch is dangerous.
A third thing that comes to mind is food. Avoiding salt or only using mineralsalt helps keeping the cells in the arm in the right balance, and reduces swelling since salt binds water. See the link http://www.rsdrx.com/four_f's_diet.htm for more info. Vitamin B is especially important I think.

I am absolutely no scientist, just a "normal" sufferer. Luckily I still after two years have full movement in my CRPS-arm, I can use it almost normally, I "just" have pain and sensitivity, and I got my diagnosis just ten months ago. Fortunately I have been in physical therapy all the time and forced myself to move the arm, my cirkulation is as good as normal now, I have some swelling but nothing severe. I am confident that I still can go back to my work again soon, even though my job is working with my hands. I really, truly hope that your wife will be okay! Have hope and stay positive, that in itself will help you both! Gentle to you both.
Wreta is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote