View Single Post
Old 09-20-2007, 01:57 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
I'd like to restate what a doctor friend told me a couple of years ago. He said that monoclonal antibody treatments are powerful drugs of which we still do not know enough. He said he would never advise his own family member to get on a monoclonal antibody drug.

Last month or so I saw my own PCP. He reiterated that opiniion. He said, that the drugs, in his opinion were dangerous. He has also seen a patient in his practice (not an MS patient) develop rare and serious problems of the bone on a monoclonal antibody drug.
Precisely!! This has been my "beef" about Tysabri from the beginning. One of the co-inventors of this drug, Dr. L. Steinman, has said the same thing about it. I will never forget how aggressively Biogen promoted and advertised this drug, even before it received its first approval. There just isn't enough reliable safety data about it to date.

Now if an MS patient is aware of these risks and wants to try the drug anyway, then that's his/her choice. If you want to take the chance then you have to be prepared for the consequences if they happen.

Harry
Harry Z is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote