View Single Post
Old 09-27-2006, 10:07 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default diagnoses

Hi--

It's important that you keep in mind that just because you have Sjogren's doesn't mean you can't get any other things wrong. As my neuro says, you can always have ticks AND roaches. (He's got a way with words!),

So,while Sjogren's can be associated with neuropathy, a symptoms as limited as yours could easily be a compression symptom. It's important to notice which fingers tingle, what part of the arm, and is it related to position.

Sometimes the ulnar nerve gets caught at the risk, but sometimes the median nerve gets caught somewaht higher. Having bodywide inflammation from an autoimmune inflammatory disease can make tendons and arteries and vessels feeding them swollen and just out of their own comfort zone. If your symptoms fit one nerve (google dermatomes for a map of nerve distribution), it's really possible that this is compression.

There are bodyworkers who are quite good at hands-on techniques that free up adhesions around vessels and nerves, and put things back where they belong. For a long time, for instance, I had thoracic outlet syndrome, from nerves being compressed att he armpit. This was fixed by myofascial release massage, and made a great change in my functionality. Prior to the bodywork, lifting my arms for any length of time, say looking at high clothing racks in a store, or washing my hair, would fatigue my arms and they'd get numb and leaden.

I just suggested to someone else who clearly has median nerve damage of some sort in the upper arm to try a few sessions of myofascial release, and THEN, if that doesn't help, go to an MD who will order nerve conductions and such,but end up without a treatment plan, just a diagnosis. you might consider this. If it does look like it's nerve compression.

lizajane
LizaJane is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote