View Single Post
Old 09-21-2007, 11:20 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Lyme: Oral versus IV Antibiotic Treatment

I've recently been having a conflict of interest with my SO. I had posted this on another website that has a fairly large Lyme Community, but hadn't gotten any feedback so I went 'hunting' online and came across some information I think everyone should know. Below I will paste my original post to state why I did this.

I am having a bit of a problem with my SO. While I am happy to see that these things come up on TV, it has casted a shadow upon how he is seeing Lyme in regards to me. I think it was the week before last while watching Diagnosis X, they had a case where a woman was treated for other things, misdiagnosed, etc. and it ended up being Lyme. Again this weekend, while watching Mystery Diagnosis a more severe case of Lyme ended up being the diagnosis (mind you, the man in question went quite some time without treatment and ended up with severe neurological complications).

My SO had seen both episodes which in turn seem to have him worried. I am currently on Amoxicillin (I couldn't tolerate Doxy, had bad reaction to it - not herx) and taking 1,500mg's per day. I don't feel better, but it's only been a week so I wasn't counting on it. Anyway, after he had seen the neurological damages caused with the man on tv, he is wanting me to call my doctors to request IV antibiotic treatment (he thinks it would be better and faster, I guess) and if they say no, he is going to ask his mom to do it who is a doctor.

I really see that his intentions are good, but I was wondering if there's any literature I could give him that shows which treatment method is best for which symptoms, stages, etc. I am unfortunately showing signs of arthritis which is my primary problem. I have an Infectious Disease Doctor, Rheumatologist and a Nurse Practitioner that I am seeing. They have suggested IV treatment only if the current treatment doesn't show any progress in around four weeks time.

[Posting the information I found in a reply]

Ellie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote