Thread: Translation?
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2007, 05:29 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Thanks for the responses. That nerve diagram was particularly helpful. I get frustrated sometimes being an intelligent woman with cognitive dysfunction.

The areas of where abnormality was found (I'm just reading these from the summary table) were:
Right Ulnar Intrapalmar Anti Sensory
Right Sural Anti Sensory
Left Sural Anti Sensory
Right Peroneal Motor, Ankle and B Fib
Right Tibial Motor, Ankle
Left Peroneal Motor, Ankle
Left Tibial Motor

I did have thyroid and diabetic issues, but both conditions have been under excellent control for over two years. MRIs of the brain and elsewhere have been normal. I do not show any anti-bodies in the blood, just generalized inflammation.

I did have a spinal tap done long ago (1998), and it had some sort of abnormal protein level, but it was thought to be of no consequence. The neurologist who did the EMG was reluctant to consider Sjogren's as a cause (I had been diagnosed via lip biopsy the previous year by a rheumatologist), but she had no other ideas except to send me for a neuropsyche exam. I believe there is some sort of diffuse inflammation, probably of autoimmune origin, causing the neuropathy as acute episodes respond to high dose prednisone.

I am at a loss as to why it has begun to grow worse over the past few weeks when it had been stable for two years. I'm hoping the neurology department at the Mayo Clinic will have some ideas. I'm probably going to see them sometime in January.

Thanks again for your help.

fanfaire