View Single Post
Old 09-21-2007, 06:39 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I have epilepsy and my son has Tourette's, so I know a bit about this topic I am on keppra and that worked to control my tc seizures, but after a year or two I started having breakthrough seizures. These were not as severe, so were I guess Partial seizures. My doctor didn't increase the keppra (which, yes, can cause mood disorders all by itself); she added lyrica, which is good for treating partial seizures. I could really tell that it relaxed my brain, and did a great job on top of the keppra to control the breakthrough seizures. Maybe adding a different drug like that instead of just increasing a drug-since, as you said, the seizures are not like the initial seizures-would be a better route to try.

Tourette's is diagnosed when you see both vocal and behavioral tics. My son has both, so he has the fullblown diagnosis. I had behavioral tics as a child, so "just" had tics. What you describe sounds more like seizures, imho. Either way, hopefully a drug would help to control them. My son takes tenex for the tics/TS.

FWIW, when ds experienced "spells" for a short period of time, the neuro wasn't sure if they were migraines or seizures (he said migraines can present without pain in children). He said the only way to really tell was to try a medicine and see if it helped (I think they were stress-induced due to state-mandated testing-true!-and went away after it was all over).

Anyway, the last point I have to make is that you can have seizures without ever testing positive on an EEG for seizure activity. I even have ended up in the hospital with status epilepticus, so there is no doubt I have a seizure disorder. Yet, on even a two-day VEEG, my brain was calm and happy. Only when it is spazzing, is it spazzing, iykwim.

Good luck figuring it out! It's so hard when it's a child!
Footprints is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote