View Single Post
Old 09-21-2007, 10:08 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Anesthesiologists who are certified in Pain Management are usually more knowledgeable about pain syndromes such as TOS and RSD etc. than most other Drs. In my experience, older neurologists at hospitals connected with universities have more understanding (and BELIEF) in TOS than younger Drs, who seem to have very LITTLE in the way of education about it, and often are skeptical of the dx, even in the face of positive test results and other MD's opinions.

My P.M. Dr has a private practice, others are associated with pain clinics. There are good pain clinics and there are pain clinics with an agenda - be careful when looking at pain programs to find out what the philosophy behind the program is. I attended a day pain management program that I thought would either help reduce my pain level, or show that I did indeed need surgery. What I did not know was the MD ( a neurologist) running the program was vehemently AGAINST long-term narcotics usage - for anyone, regardless their pain or condition. Obviously, he was not licensed by the American Pain Association or similar organiztion.

You may also want to call around to vascular surgeons, who may have some familiarity with vascular TOS - but their egos may be bruised since you will not be letting them do the surgery.

You might try calling Mayo's and asking for some names of Drs in your area, although Mayo's itseld has not had good feedback from TOSers who have made the trip there. They may be able to refer you to someone closer though.

Just some thoughts.

Best of luck!

beth
beth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote