View Single Post
Old 09-22-2007, 09:04 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Thanks Glenn and MRSD for those responses. They shall be my armour-bearer as I sally forth to visit my endocrinologist! (...or perhaps I better just sit there demurely and let him decide everything and say yes sir, no sir - see below).

Just looking through my results again tonight from last week and wondered if anyone could cast light upon my ANCA result. The comment on the report says: "Unable to determine the presence of ANCA because of the presence of anti neutrophil nuclear antibodies".
However the Proteinase 3-ANCA (the major C-ANCA antigen) was normal at <5 U/mL (range <10),
likewise the Myeloperoxidase -ANCA (the major P-ANCA antigen) was also normal at <5 U/mL (<5)

Would I be correct in assuming that the antibodies are from some previous infection/immune insult and have no bearing on the present?

Also the neurologist who on my second visit basically concluded that she had come to the end of the road with my management wrote in her letter back to my GP....and I quote "The other possibility is that she is developing somatic symptoms secondary to depression or anxiety. I raised this possibility today and she doesn't feel that she is anxious or depressed. Despite this she actually became almost tearful during the consultation". (Yeah sure I did feel shocked when she basically was dismissing me after a couple of minutes in the consultation saying there was no more she could do).

I think it is quite laughable and somewhat embarrassing that she should think that. I did prepare for the consultation quite carefully and had learnt a little bit of the basics in the five weeks from the time of my first visit but I was far from know-it-all! Perhaps she felt that my approach of asking questions and wanting a copy of the results constituted anxiety on my part. It seems to me that doctors can all too readily label people as having psychosomatic causes for their symptoms when they fail to diagnose or manage a patient correctly. Perhaps that's a justification on my part, although I have believed that for a long time as I have observed other people's situations.
Megan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote