View Single Post
Old 09-22-2007, 12:58 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Lightbulb I've been saying something about B12 a bit wrong -

Hi,

I just realized that I've been saying something about B12 replacement therapy a bit wrong.

I just realized that when someone uses Methylcobalamin lozenges for replacement, that it requires a whole month of taking them every day before it equals B12 shots.

While it is true that a 1,000 mcg Methylcobalamin lozenge a day (for a month) is about equal to one B12 shot a month, what I forget when I'm talking about how quickly you will see and feel results, is that at least a whole month of using the lozenges must go by.

When I tried to switch to lozenges from shots, I experienced my B12 symptoms radically increasing.

I had to go back to shots immediately.

I now begin to see that had I not had injectable cobalamin to go back to, and if I had continued using the sublinguals, I probably would have had an easing off of symptoms after a month or two.

The thing was, however, that I was having a shot a day at that time, and I was not using 6 of the 5mg sublinguals a day. So even after a month or two, I would not have been getting as much B12 replacement as I was having by using injections.

I'm writing this because I've often written about how effective B12 is, and that if someone has ridges on their fingernails and loss of moons, and also has other symptoms of low B12, and they begin using Methylcobalamin lozenges they will have noticeable changes for the better in a few weeks.

That's my mistake, it would be a few weeks if they were having injections, but with the lozenges it will take at least a month or two because of the gradual way that they work.

I hope this is clear.

I should add that one of the reasons it's good to keep an eye on your fingernails, is that the ridges reduce in size and begin to go away, but not overnight. In the last ten years of B12 replacement therapy, the huge thick ridges that I had are nearly entirely gone on many of my fingernails, but on some are reduced in size, not gone.