View Single Post
Old 09-22-2007, 05:44 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Exclamation Mucker, I Am Concerned Also!!

i don't want to alarm you, but the sx you describe - the heat, the color changes, the swelling, the burning, aching pain, etc. - it COULD be that your TOS surgery has triggered an outbreak of RSD (or complex regional pain syndrome, as victoria called it; same thing).

this, unfortunately, is not uncommon, mucker. you need to call dr. B's office immediately and let him know what is going on. start writing down these sx, keeping as careful track as you can of when, where and how they are occurring in your body. STAY AWAY FROM ICE (as i know you already are), as it can cause it to worsen and spread like wildfire. IF it is RSD. big IF.

you may need a stellate ganglion block to get this dx'd properly, mucker. if you have a positive reaction to the first block (i.e., it brings you some temporary relief), then a series of SGB blocks would typically be ordered to try and put the RSD monster back into remission.

there is a small window of opportunity in which to act. you are well within that timeframe, so no need to panic. and it may not even be RSD/CRPS, mucker. it may be nerve pain or vascular sx... things that got inflamed or stirred up by the TOS surgery.

but please do not wait until oct. 1 to act. this is very important. call dr. B. right away, as well as your other treating doc(s). if dr. B. doesn't handle SGB blocks himself, then very likely he will want to send you to a PM doc (usually an anesthesiologist) to do this diagnostic procedure STAT.

and for more information, you can go to the RSD forum on the neurotalk site. if i were more computer savvy, i'd throw the link up for ya right here on this post. but i'm kind of an idiot where that stuff is concerned-.

also, you could copy your post over to that forum and try to get some feedback from the knowledgeable and caring folks over there, barb. or even start a new thread on the TOS forum and entitle it RSD plus TOS SX? or something along those lines... i know we have some members who suffer from both dx's and they would be good people to help you right now but may not see your post on this thread.

i know beth is very up on this stuff, and not by choice! also, dawn (whom we haven't heard from lately - never a good sign!) carries both dx's and can help you if you can grab her attention.

again, i'm not trying to scare you. but your sx sound very much like RSD. i really, really hope that's not the case. but even if it is, there are tx's for your docs to immediately put into place - starting with those SGB blocks - to nip this thing in the bud.

please call them right away? and let us know what they say, OK. know that i care about what's going on with you and will do anything i can to help.

alison
"Be Brave"
Sea Pines 50 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote