View Single Post
Old 08-28-2006, 04:45 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Lightbulb My Two Cents

Hi, everybody!!

It's me -- The Moose

I've been watching what's been going on for the past two months. I wrote to JL and his friends and called his place of employment. Got in touch with a government agency and a local newspaper.

BrainTalk (or whatever becomes of it) CANNOT be run by the members. This is a HUGE non-profit organization with ten of thousands of members and non-members from all over the world. The whole theory and goodwill and business of BrainTalk needs to be sold to an entity that will run it as a business and as a non-profit organization -- one that realizes the fragility of the people who participate (even the people who do not participate).

What's been done over the past two months has happened before. All the history and the collected wisdom disappears. All the support for people who cannot leave their homes disappears. It makes my heart ACHE to think of Lou Gehrig's Disease patients sitting at home with all their connection to the outside world just gone -- POOF!!

It makes me gut-sick to think of the parents who have terminally ill kids that have lost a resource that has helped them cope and has helped them stay sane. I know some of the Moms and Dads have quite a few small sites around the web -- but, BrainTalk was *HOME*. I've spent my last year on BrainTalk doing research for the Moms and Dads who just don't have the time or the energy.

I've been doing a lot of research into JL and BT and there are things that I DO NOT LIKE. I won't go into them here -- because it's not appropriate here.

I do believe WITH ALL MY HEART that no one should go back to the Original BrainTalk (especially if you're emotionally fragile) -- it's not safe there.

I remember my first job supporting computer users. My boss came in on the weekend and set up a brand-new server -- and then went on vacation for a month. The first day was fine. The second day -- the server was sitting in the corner whimpering and dying. I got in touch with peers who could help. I got the vendor to come in finally and fix the dang thing. There is NO reason in the universe that a server should be down for two months. That space in Cambridge where the server is stored is a hacker space -- that means the intelligence and the competence to fix/repair things was available.

I'm gonna let everybody know that this website is here.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate the efforts that have gone into creating a safe place for people to land.

I, too, believe that it's time -- past time -- for JL to let go of BrainTalk and let someone else take over the reins.

Barbara
moose53 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote