View Single Post
Old 09-24-2007, 11:14 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Mrs D -- I just checked the price on iherb.com - I bought the "best value" benfotiamine 150mg tab.- 120 tabs for 15 dollars so that is about 23 dollars per month (if you buy enough on iherb.com to justify free shipping). This is cheaper right now than what is available on beyond-a-century.com from what I've calculated. If anyone finds a cheaper price, let me know.

Regarding the pain I have, that is always difficult for me to answer. It seems like all the labels apply, "burning", "jabbing", ache, soreness on top of the toes and between the toes and on top of the arch. No way could I ever lift myself on my tip toes (since the neuropathy started).

When I walk, it feels like I'm walking on golf balls under my feet. I also occasionally have jabbing pains above my feet, particularly in my ankles but I think that is because I'm obese (by about 100 pounds - gained it all since my neuropathy started and I eliminated extra movements to avoid pain - I also have mild thyroid deficiency problems - "hypothyroid" I think it's called).

There still seems to be a fair amount of numbness even with the benfotiamine but relatively little pain. The numbness is what I'm hoping will go away in three weeks. Crossing my fingers ...

I read some more about benfotiamine since I posted above. Seems that the reason this is really supposed to help is "bioavailability". I can't remember the numbers but there is some major limit problem our bodies have in being able to absorb water-soluble B1. This new fat-soluble form increases the bioavailability by a huge amount according to the claims. Makesx you wonder if they ever will invent a fat-soluble B12? And if that would help? (Japanese invested this by the way some years ago.)

I just realized I haven't "stress tested" this new pain free state. Guess I need to go work in the garden (haven't been there in a while, LOL) and see if I end up in bed the rest of the day which is what has been happening in the recent past.

Last edited by texasgeek; 09-24-2007 at 11:15 AM. Reason: added the question about B12 fat solubility
texasgeek is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote