View Single Post
Old 09-24-2007, 10:23 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Crazy

Tam,

You have provided a 'public service' by posting this topic and I have not gleaned one iota of malice in ANY of your posts. Sometimes a topic might trigger a vigourous response, only because we all have some experiece that may have affected us more than we realize.

I would have jumped in sooner, but my server has been down for a few days.

Your description regarding communication via email is DEAD ON and should be closely considered when responding to any post. I don't even like to speak on the phone, because there is SO much missed in the way of body language, pauses, etc. These things are all powerful commication tools.

As far as the law is concerned, that is a truly complicated issue, ranging from what is on the books, to the personal attitude of the Officer at the time of the incident. We are only human after all.

I can add that, as a Federal Law Enforcement Agent, (and a native Californian), I know well that the laws in each state vary wildly! California is indeed VERY strict in enforcement of DWI/DUI...much more so than probably most states.

PA state law is light years different! I was not used to traveling between states here in Maryland. I am especially careful in PA. when driving. My husband lived there for some years and it really pays to know someone knowledgeable of enforcement practices (in that spectacularly beautiful State!). That just does not happen so frequently out west. So one should not be surprised at the different outcomes of the same situation in different locals.

I wanted to say that I DO drive, but not immediately after taking certain meds. Sometimes I postpone taking the meds until I have come home from driving. No on is implying that we cannot drive at all! Just to have an awareness of when it is safe to drive.

Di, I hear the pain in your post regarding DeAnne's treatment at a traffic stop. Even though your case won in court, you have to admit it would have been so much better if the situation did not arise in the first place. This I understand to be Tam's communication.

Regarding carrying medications...that IS a tough one. When traveling (coast to coast), I carry all containers and might leave some quantities at home. I feel reasonably comfortable carrying contact information for my physicians and pharmacy if just bringing a few 'things' with me on local drives.

The idea of carrying the pharmacy literature is a good one, but I would be sure it did not include extreme, (though unlikely) reactions in the descriptions.

I have seen a medical bracelet advertised on QVC that holds room to list about a dozen meds...not sure of the cost. Actually, the Doc.& pharmacy phone#'s might be just as good a resource for medical aid workers.

Tam, I just don't want you to feel bad in any way. We all have varied and equally valuable knowledge and experience. I don't think most people DO realize how very strict California is when it comes to this issue in particular!!

We all just need a little 'heads up' once in a while because we are so accustomed to feeling this way or that and might not be aware of how this translates physically.

I love the list of tests Di listed. They are quick & easy and maybe life-saving. I suspect most of us have medications with tags warning of 'dizziness', not the 'handle heavy machinery (cars), and so on. This post is great in that it reminds us not to be complacent. "To err is Human"!!!

Warmly,
Anne
Bi-Coastal is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote