View Single Post
Old 09-25-2007, 05:25 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

(((hugs))) JD and all I haven't lost a service dog (since this is my first), but I have lost pets before (dare I say my best friends) before. I can feel the pain.

I have a Psychiatric Service Dog (in training) who is only 11 weeks old. We have only been together for 3 weeks, but I have known her for 4. It was almost as if we were meant to be together. I visited Mayze and her 4 sibs when she was 7 weeks. We played for a bit before I left. I knew she was the right pup, so I gave them the deposit and headed home (They live almost 2 hours from us). A week later, I came back to pick her up and she remembered me! She ran right up to me. It was a very special moment. Her initial training (The basics including potty training) has been trying, but we are getting better every day.

Mayze is a Chocolate Lab/Husky mix. She looks like a pure chocolate lab unless you look really close and see some slight differences. One of my friends who used to breed labs says her nose is a little narrow to be a lab, but you really have to look closely to see it. The vet is anxious to see what her coat will look like. Will she be smooth like a lab or fluff(ier) like a Husky?

Why do I have my Mayze? Let's see. I am Agoraphobic, have panic attacks frequently, Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome, Major Depression, OCD, and ADD to top it off. My therapist and I have been discussing getting a dog for a bit. I brought this up to my boyfriend and he thought it was a great idea. It took a while to find the right puppy (the first one I fell in love with was a pure bred St Bernard) but I eventually found the right one for me. It's the training part that is driving me crazy! (lol) I found that a head collar works best for her. She is so happy when she does things right. She's a good girl.

I have had a problem (I was unaware of the differences between Therapy, Service and emotional support animals) with the housing association saying this "dog" brings us over our two pet limit (even though I told them that Mayze was my service animal). After doing some research, I realized I definitely needed her as a service animal. I also found out that I needed a prescription from my psychiatrist. I printed out some information for him, and he was more than happy to write out the note for me. The association has told us that the dog has to leave. That's fine. I am moving anyway (there is MUCH more going on with them - I am actually planning on filing a suit against them, so I don't want to get into it).

I mentioned in another thread that I will be moving this weekend. Across the street from our new place is a trainer of service dogs (unless our landlord misunderstood and she only trains therapy dogs). I am excited about that because I know I will need help beyond basic obedience. Mayze deserves to be in a place that understands, and accepts who and what she is. The neighborhood we are moving into is wonderful. I am very excited

Sorry for babbling (I do that sometimes ) I am glad to be here with you all.

Beth
Escape is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote