View Single Post
Old 09-25-2007, 10:12 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I think you may have mispelled this, Billye. It is Atelectasis.

Lungs are like upside down trees. The trachea (trunk) travels down the front of the neck, becoming primary bronchus, which branches out left and right into secondary bronchi, and in turn branches into smaller bronchi, terminating in tiny alveoli. This is where gas exchange takes place in the lungs. (Oxygen goes in here & CO2 goes out.) Fluid from pneumonia or other causes can fill these alveoli, causing mucus plugging and collapsing the little alveoli containing the mucus within. Infection can become a real problem.

I am not sure of the cause, other than he mentioned inflammation, I would guess chronic bronchitis. The treatment? Why am I not surprised? More steroids... Because the inhaler and nebulizer cannot reach the involved areas as they are closed off. He seemed pretty upbeat about it clearing up and did not feel it was Sarcoidosis. He has always been a very good pulmonary doc, so am hopeful he can clear this up for me.

I should have asked my husband to go, since I did not ask nearly enough questions and he is good at remembering what is said. I was really bummed out today though. The eye thing is scaring me... Driving into oncoming headlights tonight produced the flashing lights in the right eye. The doctor said if it gets worse to call immediately, as this can affect the retina...

I was hoping that MrsD might come along and comment on the antibiotic issue being related to this. Meanwhile, thanks to the rest of you who posted.
Cathie
Yorkiemom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote