View Single Post
Old 09-26-2007, 10:30 AM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Actually, there is no way for us to get there today. The guy only has office hours Monday, Tuesday Wednesday.
If this had happened yesterday, we could have phoned Access-a-ride, but you can't do that on the same day. We can't afford taxis back and forth.

His next appointment is next Wednesday. You know, Old Stubborn Alan, you have to drag him.

But he is wearing the shoe boot thing, you should have seen him. He walks like a champ. No pressure, no nothing.

Since he won't call, and we obviously can't go today, the only thing is that he wears this contraption, we do the same thing on the foot (using a dab of regranex),that we did for the previous 3 weeks while it healed. (It did heal completely, thank goodness). I really believe that if he hadn't spent all day Monday, walking on that foot, that this could have been avoided.

We are checking it twice a day now.

I have a thought though. What if he needs to wear this contraption ALL THE TIME?? This particular one goes up to his knees. It's very hot, (while he walks great in it and this is the contraption that allowed his ulcer to heal), I have seen smaller versions of this thing. Looks the same on the foot but only goes up to the ankle.

IF Alan needs to wear this for the rest of this life, (or even intermittently), can he switch to a lower cut down version??

Maybe this ishoe boot thing s the only one that the guy had in his office.

But when I went online I saw all these variables of this shoe boot and the one that struck me the most was the smaller version, (up to the ankle). I said 'wow, that has to be more comfortable than the one up to his knee. Same rocking motion on the foot. Same "no Pressure on the ulcer area" thing going on.

I wonder, if a person like Alan, who they really don't want to operate on, and who, from time to time, will get this bleeding thing, well, can a person, for the rest of his life, intermittently, wear the shoe boot on one foot and the $90 shoe (with the orthotic) on the other foot?

Anybody understand where I am coming from here? Not one of his doctors wants to operate on him. Something about moving the tiny bones underneath the ulcer, and they will have to reposition the big toe and that MIGHT affect his balance. So no one wants to do this.

That's fine with Alan. He doesn't want any operation. I mean who wants an operation? But if a person will keep getting ulcers and then has to switch to this shoe boot thing, I mean, can they do this forever??

Might be a stupid question but no one has ever explained this fully to me.

Thanks.

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote