View Single Post
Old 09-27-2007, 01:08 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Well Billye, I guess I am probably not the only one a little overwhelmed with all that goes on. I am sorry about this. I am grateful however, that you have a doctor who is on top of things and is willing to refer you on to someone who will seek out the source of your anemia.

There are a lot of reasons that you could be anemic, other than what we normally think of as blood loss. There can be a decrease in the life of red cells because of a defiency in iron metabolism (got to have iron to make new RBC) or in the body's resistance to the hormone that prompts the bone marrow to make more.

There can be damage to red blood cells (which reduces their numbers) when they pass through tissues that are injured by the disease process itself. The red blood cells can be destroyed prematurely, or anemia could be caused by an infection. These are just a few of the ways that anemia could be caused. There are others. My red blood cells, at one time, were not living as long as they should.

The Hematologist's job is to seek out the source/reason and treat or recommend treatment for this. If your doc says go see one, hang in there and go.

If you do have to go, I don't know if you would plan to see someone in your own area, or if you would like to see someone just across from your Neurologist, but if this is the case, I will email a name and number to you. You will absolutely love her.

Take care,
Cathie
Yorkiemom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote