View Single Post
Old 09-27-2007, 07:34 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Alkamyst,

That really hurts. I hope you'll be financially OK until you find new work.

Don't beat yourself up over it. It doesn't mean you aren't good enough. The only meaning was "tag, you're out". Unless you were counseled and written up over some job issue, they didn't want to let you go. If you were written up and then fired in spite of your best efforts, learn what you can from the experience, accept responsibility, and move on...it was a bad match and you're better off out of there.

Managers often have to pick somebody to let go from a great team, even if they desperately don't want to. Who they pick can hang on trivialities...small differences in pay, a small error at the wrong time, being out the day before the decision of who is made, being on vacation so they don't have to face you, etc. Letting somebody go often hurts the manager emotionally as much as being let go. I walked into a supervisor's office once while she was pitifully sobbing because she had to fire a good person. Eventually she was let go. I bet her manager cried.

I was also laid off from that same company because the company was shrinking. The next morning I drove right through a stop sign into the path of a car going about 40 mph., my mind on the termination. I had two kids and a wife dependent on me, and had to look for work with a broken rib, my wife's car, and the guilt of having caused an accident that totaled two cars because I wasn't paying attention...

so keep calm, keep your mind on the task at hand and drive carefully! Things could be a lot worse.