View Single Post
Old 09-28-2007, 04:20 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

In the UK

Radio 4 has done shows on it - also before RSD UK closed they had alot of media over awareness week. There have been pieces in the Times Sunday magazine, The Mail, In several of the "womens" magazines, an article on Discovery. There is a piece on it on BBC online (2 pieces I think?), The Sun (or some paper like that) has run a piece on it. Several of my friends have been in the paper/ TV/ magazines. My uncle and aunt work for the BBC and they made them do abit on it on Casulty :P. A lot of the local newspapers have run pieces on it. It recieved quite a big show when that quad with RSD whose name has currently escaped me sailed single handedly across the channel and is now planning on sailing around Britain.

The problem is that as RSD UK has shut down it is far harder to get any media awareness going.

It is odd though. I used to think RSD was rare - in my town I know 6 people with it. A girl at my school had it, someone that served me in Marks and Spencers had had it (so recognised from looking at me that I had), a teacher at my school had it, the younger sister of someone in my class had it and a guy I met in physio had it.

Awareness is happening.. it's just that most people recover in a year or so and it doesn't affect enough people seriously to make it well known. I mean in the UK look at the number of doctors that haven't a clue about what it is!!

I was lucky that my GP picked it up in 2 weeks! and that was only because in her practise there are another 2 people with it!

But I have seen drs who have never heard about it. My neurologist has barely heard of it and only knows the 1970s view on it..

Frogga
frogga is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote