View Single Post
Old 09-28-2007, 04:25 AM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

Oddly enough, I happened to run across this abstract in my files. The author admits no post-graduate education nor any affiliation with a college or university, but insists he was wearing a white lab coat with a rectal thermometer in his pocket throughout the experiment.

The author prefers to remain anonymous as this experiment was NOT approved by the National Institutes of Health or the Food and Drug Administration, and probably violates a few minor DEA rules.

The Effects of Tetrahydrocannabinol Delta 9 on pain sensitivity and perceptions of fun. Anonymous: unpublished, date uncertain but possibly within the past 6 hours.

This is a single-subject study, but the subject is in pain and did graciously consent to imbibe to stuff. You work with the materials at hand.

The subject was administered 1.5gm of ground pot orally (washing it down with a swig of club soda), claiming he hates brownies. Subject noticed no change in pain or cognitive function during the first hour, but then began to smile more.

At the end of the second hour, subject reported pain level had not diminished at all, but Jimi Hendrix sounded better.

By the end of the third hour, subject had interrupted narrative in order to replay “Rhiannon” (live version), 3 times, at full volume and was heard to mumble something that sounded like “If I could still get elections, she’s be in real trouble’. (He may have gotten Stevie and Hillary a little mixed up here)

After four hours, this researcher had heard “You don’t have to call me Darlin’” (David Allen Coe), so many times that he agreed it probably would sound better after a joint. The text becomes a bit unintelligible at this point, so I’ll just skip to the conclusion:

Subject reports absolutely no pain relief whatsoever from a single, oral dose, but says “So what? It was fun; and you haven’t heard “Freebird” until you’ve heard it while wearing a white lab coat”.

I should point out that this was not the first time this experiment was performed, the actual number is closer to 357; and this is only the oral dosage study. Inhalation experiments were much more common when the researcher was younger and probably numbered in excess of 2,000 (althought pain relief was not part of these studies).

The great end of life is not knowldege but action. T. H. Huxley

When in doubt, ask: What would Jimmy Buffett do?

email: :

Last edited by Vicc; 09-28-2007 at 05:02 AM.
Vicc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote