View Single Post
Old 09-28-2007, 06:43 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default WHEN if Ever Do You Tell Your Employer?

When if Ever should you tell your employer about your e or other medical condition? I've told employers in the past about my brain surgery to remove a tumor and for my e (which I still occasionally have a small seizure now and then tho' rare), one side effect of which is that my memory is not very good (terrible as I was told by a coworker yesterday) and my attention/focus can be scattered at times when there is too much going on around me.

When comments come up about my memory I immediately want to defend myself and explain why my memory isn't good, but after having lost a couple of jobs due to the fact that previous employers couldn't handle the fact that I'd had brain surgery (I lost all human element once I told them about my surgery and just couldn't do anything right after that. Which is funny because I went from being the best employee to one that they didn't have confidence in because of my surgery and its effects. Nice huh?) I've promised my family that I won't tell anyone about my medical condition Past or present, so this job (that's going really well) doesn't go sour (like the couple previous did), but I really feel like I'm hiding part of me.

Anyone know what I mean?
stef