View Single Post
Old 09-28-2007, 10:05 AM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

Hi John,

I never looked into long-term effects of these drugs. I figured they gave me significant pain relief, and I don't really care about long-term effects.

I have taken opiates every single day since April, 1979, so I'm not gonna worry about antiseizure meds; all those oxys are gonna catch up to my liver someday. They are killing me, but without them I would kill myself; the pain would be too intense.

The last time my doc suggested a liver enzyme test was 1997. I asked how he would change my pain meds if he knew I had a liver disease, and he admitted he could only keep prescribing me opiates.

I don't want to know about bad news I can't do anything about; surprise me. It would be nice if the surprise came quick, and quiet, and tomorrow, but I'll hang around and wait for the call.

I don't think the situation with anti-seizure meds is that extreme: There are a lot of people who begin taking these meds in childhood, and they can expect to take them for the rest of their lives.

I'm not a big Pharma fan (in fact, they **** me off), but I think that they would have some hints by now, and would be warning pts about potential risks; they know the vast majority will continue because they have no choice.

I think you're right in trying to learn all you can, but I imagine it will come down to how much pain relief she gets. We'll do and try almost anything to lower the pain...Vic

The great end of life is not knowldege but action. T. H. Huxley

When in doubt, ask: What would Jimmy Buffett do?

email: :
Vicc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote