View Single Post
Old 09-28-2007, 11:58 AM
Senior Member (jccglutenfree)

15 yr Member
Senior Member (jccglutenfree)

15 yr Member

I also wanted to add that celiac disease and gluten sensitivity cause malabsorption, and therefore widespread symptoms related to vitamin deficiency. Although not widely recognized, nutritional deficiency itself can contribute to wide ranging neurological and neuromuscular symptoms..including depression, dementia, tremors, myoclonus, ataxia, and a whole lot more.

So, in celiac disease/gluten sensitivity, the neurological complications can come from both nutritional deficiency and immune system responses.

I don't know enough about Parkinson's disease to really analyze the possible relationship between these things. I just know that gluten sensitivity can do a lot of neurologic damage that is already well documented, and may be responsible for quite a bit yet undiscovered. For example, I have now heard from two people whose narcolepsy remitted via a gluten free diet. Anecdotal, but I value such evidence.

The problem with gluten related neurological disease is that damage is not as quickly reversed as is damage to the intestines. Sometimes the only hope is to limit further progression. This is the case with gluten ataxia, and also with peripheral neuropathy, and epilepsy (if associated with gluten..not suggesting all is). If caught early enough, there is at least a chance for reversal of symptoms. If identified too late the chances not as good. After removing gluten from the diet, it can take as long as 6-12 months for the immune system to stop reacting, and then those things that can repair do so very slowly.

Cara

Last edited by jccgf; 09-28-2007 at 02:49 PM.
jccgf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote