View Single Post
Old 09-28-2007, 09:28 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Response from John the Painter

To Debby---mahotep-dreambeliever128-Vicc--bassman-sue k

Thanks all for your considered responses thus far into the thread. I view the diversity of reaction to medication as a very major obstacle to the study and amelioration of RSD. I prefer to use RSD because it is quicker to write the CRPS I & II etc.

When everyone reacts so differently to the same medications, it is so difficult to come up with any policy resembling uniformity of action. You can't tell an RSD patient to take this or that antibiotic, come back in two weeks, and it will all be better.

Liver and other systemic problems often occur in those taking long term meds. The choice to take medications is, of course, highly personal. If the pain is intolerable and you are thinking about bullets, guns, or high bridges, any pain relief is welcome--of that I am positive.

The fact that many RSD sufferers chose to take opioids seems prudent on a case by case basis. I have done enough research to know that using opioids for pain reduction is part and parcel of pain management. And, it should remain so. The prosecution of doctors issuing these types of medications should be restricted to those who are proven to abuse the privilege and just really sell drugs as opposed to prescribe them for legitimate pain management reasons.

Marilyn has chosen not to use opioids. That is her decision. The negative affects for her outweigh the benefits. The trileptal she takes just removes the razor edge to a knife edge of pain. Marilyn doesn't like to use the McGill Pain Scale when discussing her pain with me. She is very brave and tries to hide her pain from me. Most of the time, an outsider would not know how much she suffers. Many times, I too am unaware consciously of this war of the body and spirit.

So, since my wife's prognosis is pretty awful, I am trying to get an idea from your folks on what we might try. I think that several have mentioned long term use of anti-seizure meds doesn't appear to harm the body over the long term. I'd like some more opinions of this aspect if possible.

I have read a lot of your work Vicc and we have spoken over the years. I am very glad to see you being so productive.

Please keep the input going and thanks you all for your time and opinions. May you make peace with the pain and put the demons in check as best you can.

johnthepainter
johnthepainter is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote