View Single Post
Old 09-28-2007, 10:50 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Everyone, this is Heidi, the author of the paper. I just had to jump in here because I think I can add some context.

Greg: here's a quick summary of my hypothesis:
The DQB1*0602 gene which is strongly linked to narcolepsy and PD is also linked to gluten sensitivity, an autoimmune reaction to wheat and other grains. Gluten intolerance usually causes intestinal damage and gastrological symptoms, but this version is often intestinally asymptomatic. A new study shows that the gluten antibodies (antigliadin) can bind to tissues in the brain. There they attach to a protein inside the neurons called Synapsin I. The function of Synapsin I is to hold the neurotransmitter inside the cell until it is stimulated. When the antigliadin is attached to the Synapsin, it cannot release the neurotransmitter. Not only does this cause a loss of neurological function, it is responsible for a buildup of another protein, alpha-synuclein, forming Lewy bodies and causing cell death.

Basically, I believe gluten antibodies are clogging up your brain. And you do not need to have any other celiac symptoms for this to happen. Unfortunately I cannot say what the benefits of the diet may be for PD sufferers. You may only arrest further progression. There is usually already massive cell loss by the time PD symptoms are apparent. I am elated to hear of your good results though, Ibken.

HurtsoBad- puhleez try the diet. You list so many symptoms that I know are related but cannot prove!
Heidi L is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote