View Single Post
Old 09-29-2007, 07:15 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Mrs D? You got a lot of info ....

packed into one small 'capsule'?
I got onto the 5-HTP stuffs because I was becoming estrogen deprived [due to my going off HRT, having BC and subsequent surgeries, then going on an Aramotase Inhibitor - Arimidex...At the time I started on the AI...A family member died and I had all these hormones blocked and that old STRESS factor was super high...My local vitamin shop has a very knowledgeable former RN, Midwife, and background in something like physiological biology and suggested I try the HTP...Reading and comparing the s/e's from that and what the ocon had prescribed [effexor] I went with the former rather than the latter... I believe that if a person has any sorts of heart issues, it'd be a devil you know vs. not issue...I chose the pseudo herbal route, as I knew Effexor had NOT been tested with any of my other medications and Upon calling each med company I got more and more red flags...
I usually do not take well at ALL to any Serontonin meds...this one, I guess because it's gone thru one stage of 'processing'? I Tolerated far better than when I'd tried the Carnitines...Those made my heart RACE, the HTP only on occasion...
I have to say that the HTP is kind of well, 'inert' and that is delightful? I've weaned myself off of it, [due to availability] and I do find myself more well, 'edgy'. Side effects? the racy heart, rare but disturbing, and lots of sleepiness! But other Serotonin meds really put me into outer space and maybe on another planet....so what s/e's I've encountered are pretty 'tame'?
Coming off the stuff? I have to say that in some aspects, my overall issues are improved [vascular in particular?-I'm sweating!?] but that 'edginess' affects/effects all that I say and do.
I'm beginning to find it hard to get 5HTP anywhere - I'd ordered it on-line and that one thing wasn't even listed as 'ordered'. It's not in the stores either...I'm beginning to shop around and on the verge of getting what's available...for the future 'just' in case scenario...My three cravings are purely diet/metabolism wise...they are CARBS, RED MEAT and to a lesser degree sugars...I am and have not had any diagnostician counter my borderline -hypoglycemic diagnosis of over 30+ years ago. Honestly I don't think anyone in the medical profession even considers it. Scary thoughts ..
Kimmie Dawn...being a glutton for carbs on occasions...and at times only very particular and specific kinds of carbs? maybe you should look at what all else in in those breads? Like yeasts, milks,bicarbonates...certain fats...whatever...Those that satisfy YOU the quickest must have something 'essential' to your needs in them/it? It IS a frustrating process of either 'eliminations' or 'inclusions' But the sooner you KNOW, the happier you will be overall...I mean, it's truly worth the shot! Give it a month or so and then find out what you can live with and without...[my down fall currently are 'Bisquick' biscuits -theres something sweet/salty/yeasty in them that is IT!- for that food-itch]
Mrs D - good site to read again.. Kimmie Dawn - Honestly, we learn best from our mistakes...Wish it were simpler?

HEAPS AND HEAPS OF 's to you all! - j
dahlek is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote