View Single Post
Old 09-29-2007, 10:29 PM
Member aka Dianna Wood

15 yr Member
Member aka Dianna Wood

15 yr Member
Default I have been trying to get the message out for years

I was given a genetic test of my Parkin gene and had 2 mutations, which is extremely rare. Young onset Parkinson patients have a 50% chance of having one mutation which helps to confirm the diagnosis. In Europe what I have is called Parkin Disease. It is different than idiopathic parkinson disease. It starts with weakness on one side as well as tremor. As it progresses, the tremor disappears, the progression is slower than idiopathic Parkinson's and dystonia is a more debilitating symptom than tremors. In the more advanced state of the disease, the autonomous system becomes affected causing problem with blood pressure, heart, swallowing and lungs. DBS surgery is the best option to treat this form of Parkinson's disease.

I have listed several studies to back this up. Folks, just learn as much as possible about your illness. Do what you feel is the best to treat your symptoms. If you disagree with a neurologist bring as many studies you have found online that apply to your situation to direct the neurologist observation on you as an individual. They have become accustumed to treat diseases; not patients. If you want to be treated as a patient, educate yourself by searching for studies that apply to your symptoms. Learn of the latest technology which can rule out or confirm your symptoms and ask your neurologist to order them. Be an active member of your medical team and not passive. When you understand your disease, and part of the nature of your disease is neither you nor your neurologist can, with today's technology, improve or control your symptoms, accept it and find other things to focus on in your life. God laughs loudest at man's folly when making plans.

The hardest thing in the world is to admit to yourself you have no control of your physical wellbeing. After this lesson is learned, you once more learn to enjoy life within the limitations and stop working so hard to control your world and those around you. It has taken me 53 years to reach this point. I get unhappy and lonely with the emotional rollar coaster of living with illness, and how hard it is to retain friendships when you are up for a couple weeks, and then have a setback and find yourself striking out in anger at friends. Heck, the disease leaves ourselves loving our lives one day and hating ourselves the next. I hate my inconsistent behaivior, but must accept it as well as be understanding of the difficulties it places on relationships. But I never was happy with who or what I was before my diagnosis.

Peace to you all,
Vicky
vlhperry is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote