View Single Post
Old 09-29-2007, 11:34 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Happy-
No one is saying that TOS and thyroid are related as one entity. The point to all the thyroid related posts is that hypothyroid and hyperthyroid contribute to MUSCLE SPASM AND WEAKNESS.

Given the problems we all have with TOS causing muscle spasm and weakness it is important to be able to separate the dx'es and get properly treated for BOTH not just one or the other.

In Shelley's case, for instance, she was having neuropathy symptoms that felt like RSD, with all over burning and redness, she was told she had "quick" reflexes, involuntary muscle jerks, and horrible emotional problems. She was told to deal with the emotional problems and the rest of it was attributed to the TOS. By putting in countless hours going to many many doctors on her own $, she finally solved her SEPARATE thyroid problem, and her TOS is manageable now because the thyroid is not contributing to over stimulated muscles in places like the shoulder girdle where TOSser's need stability the most.

I was told that I was tired all the time because i had three kids and chronic pain. I continued to believe for a year that TOS was my only problem, I had several blood work ups including a full rheumatologist work up, we missed hypothyroid for that full year, and my primary care doc is an endocrinologist. Well, guess what, when i found out and treated my separate thyroid problem, a lot of things i thought were TOS symptoms went away...my muscles are more relaxed, and therefore my body functions better. Now when things act up, i am able to separate which symptoms go with which problem and attack them separately. Treating only TOS will not solve thyroid problems, and vice versa. pointing out to TOS sufferers that hypothyroid is a common problem and has common symptoms is an excellent way to help OTHERS get checked for thyroid problems as well, and possibly help them if there are coexisting conditions.

SO PLEASE before you come on here and say that people are so awfully wrong and making things worse than they really are....read what we are actually saying.

At least that's how I view things.

Last edited by johannakat; 09-30-2007 at 12:41 AM. Reason: spelling
johannakat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote