View Single Post
Old 09-30-2007, 10:32 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

HI KD,

I had my entire thyroid (actually they call it a near thryoidectomy) out 8 weeks ago. I have Hashi's but they could not control it with medicine. . I would take the meds and eventually each time I would go extremely hyper with such an emotional swing and twitching and it severely affected my muscles which affected my TOS. I also was affecting my eye muscles tremendously.

I also had a goiter 3x its normal size and that put pressure on the structures in my neck. The doc also said that I had a small windpipe and the thryoid was wrapping around it because of size. I had gotten so hyper that I made several trips to the ER.

Looking back I relaized that the thryoid was responsible for a lot of problems. More than I thought. The doc said my hashi's was unusual because the meds induced something called Hashi's toxicosis or thyrotoxicosis. But I knew I had a goiter 10 years back but they tested me and it was borderline. Then I forgot all about it. BUt looking back I see all this little signs that the thryoid was going bad and I did nothing about it.

I also posted about it in the TOS forum last week.

A great surgeon is key. Make sure they do atleast 2 thyroids a week/100 a year. The parathyroids must be protected.

I first 4-5 weeks I still felt like crap. Apparently it takes like 8 weeks for your own natural thyroid levels to subside before the meds take over. And it does get a little worse as I approach my period because the rise in estrogen binds to they T4 and keeps a little too much in your blood making you feel a little hyper still. But my levels are adjusting and getting better each day.

But now WOW!!! What a differencein 8 weeks. I am starting to have my life back. They tell me the muscle damage could take a year to heal but 8 weeks later my personality has returned and I actually want to go and do things.

I was very hesitant to have it out because all the docs said no no no we dont treat Hashi's that way. But one said to me you have given it 2 years to try to level off and it hasn't and the docs want you to be this way for however long it takes to burn itself out. Thats when I said I cant wait. And well it was the right thing to do for me.

I also posted about some scar stuff in the TOS forum that is helping my scar heal faster. Called cica care and you can get it on amazon. Great stuff.

So from a recent thyroidectomy patient.
watsonsh is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote