View Single Post
Old 09-30-2007, 07:59 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Happy,

I am guessing that you must have read my post. Great!

And I sure hope that by ending your post Cob were signing your name and not inferring "close of business" meaning the topic is closed. Because that would be very narrow minded and imposing.

This is a forum which by definition means...A public meeting place for open discussion or voicing of ideas.

And thats what I was doing in my post about my thyroid condition.

I respect your opinion but its just that....your opinion and that of your TOP endo (ooooooooo impressive) at a medical college.

I was posting both my opinion and information about my personal experience which I made very clear was mine.

If you read the post you would have read....Please know that this post applies to my situation and in no way am I suggesting that anyone's situation is similar nor should they do what I did.

So if you would like to discuss the topic lets please do it in the spirit of sharing and learning and not impose your rule of thought as the only one.

And in no way was I saying that thyroid causes TOS. Because if that was the case logic would stand to reason I would be cured once my thyroid was taken out.

But I am not cured of TOS. Nope its still there and confirmed.

And if you read my post carefully I was not referring to just hypothyroidism but rather a not so common complication of Hashimotos thyroiditis that I personally had called Hashistoxicosis or Thyrotoxicosis.

Its not easy to diagnose at all because most blood tests for thryoid come back normal. Mine did all the time. BUt the key was how progressively worse I got when treated with thyroid meds.

So I was posting information about that condition which both my TOP endo and surgeon (chief of head and neck surgery at a TOP teaching UNIVERSITY - actually #1 in the west according to US news and World Report - now aren't you impressed) both agree that I had.

And this condition atleast for me (notice caveat) did make my TOS worse because it affected my muscles in the shoulder region which the literature I posted explained. And the goiter which was 3x its normal size was putting pressure on structures in my neck.

My purpose in posting was to let folks with Hashi's and TOS (because many of us have both) know that if they had Hashi's and their msucles are weak or they cant tolerate the meds that they may want to ask their docs about it given how severly it can affect your msucles.

So again the Thyroid does NOT cause TOS but in my case the goiter and the Hashistoxicosis was making my TOS worse. Two separate body systems, but in my case they existed separately and one did make the other worse.

And for me (again caveat) taking my thyroid out was my personal choice on how to treat my specific problem which was more than "just hypothyroidism".

And I can say in my case it has made a world of difference. The pain and muscle spasms are way down. THe twitching is non existant. My emotions of extremes have leveled off. The feeling of dying and dread is gone. My muscle mass and strength increase every day. The IBS is pretty much gone. The fast reflexes are slowing down. The pre diabetes is getting better and my glucose and insulin are returning to more normal levels. Heart palpitations down and I am off beta blockers. Actually I am off all meds except the occasional ultram for pain. I can sleep and think and live again.

I still have TOS and will continue to manage that but the thyroid surgery has definitely for me made it more manageable. And looking back maybe the thyroid was the worse of the two separate problems.

Maybe in the beginning of your post you should have said Shelley I am happy that you found some relief, good for you for continuing to search for a solution to your problems. Yeah that would have been nice.

So yes...I agree the thyroid does NOT cause TOS. But it sure can negatively affect it if you have a very bad one.

I will point you however to a TOP endo in Houston, Dr Rihda Arem that writes in his book The Thryoid Solution that he has seen a connection between neck injuries and thyroid problems. So I guess TOP endos can have differing opinions.

So we can agree to disagree and continue to help people with our personal experiences.

All the best Happy!

Last edited by watsonsh; 09-30-2007 at 08:54 PM.
watsonsh is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote