View Single Post
Old 10-01-2007, 08:49 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb menopause is tough...

And I think it is different for each woman.

I didn't have many night sweats...but I did have terrible time sleeping for a while.

Some women have the sweating very badly. I think these women probably have the highest estrogen levels to begin with.

To help reduce sweating... there are triggers and you need to ID them for yourself. For me for example, caffeine and sugar are main ones.
I choose specific fabrics now for sleeping. I choose those that breathe, and do not trap air under them. Gone is flannel and sweat shirt fabric for me.
Instead I use cotton, and that with a waffle weave. I also gave up the top sheet. I get way too hot under one of those. I wear cotton loose long pants to bed now. I have a cotton blend thin comforter for cold times. And yes, even sleeping in the buff....LOL esp on top where it seems a sweat begins!

I have never used hormones and now I am well past menopause. And I do think attention to the Omegas is very important, and for menopause I'd add evening primrose too. The sweating is a vasomotor response, and essential fatty acids help with circulation. I don't need the primrose anymore, but I used to take it with the flax and fish oil.

Now there are many foods with good fats added.
The Smart Balance peanut butter has a gram (equal to one capsule) of flax oil in each tablespoon. There are omega 3 eggs, Smart Balance Mayo and for butter subsititutes..Smart Balance and Olivio. So one can get a good amount in food now. They all taste fine.
B6 and magnesium are needed to metabolize fats properly.
Also B12 is critical as we age, and anyone with neuro issues should take it "just because" 9 cents a day is a very small price to pay for a very complex and needed substance.

I have mixed feelings about cohosh. I think it is a strong estrogen mimic. I didn't like it myself. But I know women who liked it and used it. You'll just have to try it to see.

Alot can be done with food choices and some supplements. I believe that can take the edge of much of menopause.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote