View Single Post
Old 10-02-2007, 12:56 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Sinemet is a combination of carbidopa and levodopa. You have to consider safe levels of both ingredients.

I read recently that it is best to keep carbidopa levels between 70 and 100 mg. For this reason, sinemet comes in 1:4 and 1:10 ratios. My ratio, for example is 1:4. I take three 25/100 tablets per day which provides me with 75mg of carbidopa. Three per day is the manufacturer's recommendation and also allows me to take a fourth tablet and remain within the safety range for carbidopa. For the 1:10 ratio, a person could take eight to ten tablets and stay within the range.

The article I read didn't discuss levodopa as explicitly as it described carbidopa. Perhaps the limitations aren't as specific. It did mention that sometimes doctors will prescribe carbidopa and levodopa as separate tablets to be taken at the same time. Someone else will need to address levodopa.

Personally, I try to stay on schedule and only take the prescribed amount. I don't have an "as needed" prescription. In my opinion, this is a conversation to have with your doctor, especially if you're taking the CR variety, which I do not.

Karl
K.Ibsen is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote