View Single Post
Old 10-02-2007, 01:25 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Confused Please Help me Help My Brother Who Is in PAIN

My brother has MS and his severe neuropathy which effects him from the waist down to his feet. He has active lesions in his brain and spinal chord. It is a tragedy to see the pain he is in. He has been from doctor to doctor seeking relief. Neurotin and Lyrica not only didn't help and pu him into a stupor when his goal is to try to have a life and at least try to get some sound sleep for a few hours a night. He has also tried Baclyfin (sp?) and it made him incontinent, not to mention that it didn't lessen his pain. Now he is on Noritriptyline (sp?) which helps him get to sleep from around 10:00 am until 2:00am. He is in screaming pain, he cannot sit, walk, lie down or do anything for any amount of time. He is at his wits end. Finally we went to a pain clinic and the first thing doc told us was they don't prescribe opiates. But he did bother to press so hard on his spine where he has some disc problems that three weeks later he still has serious pain. Finally that doctor told him to go to his PCP and get some methadone (small dose). Doctor gave him a lecture and told him to buck up. He has patients on MS who are bed bound and on Lyrica and he will just have to deal with it. But HeCAN'T! You cannot imagine how much pain he is in. He cannot move much, he cries all the time, he crawls up the stairs. But when he recently had dental surgery, the dentist prescribed some Tylox and it was like night and day. It certainly didn't take away all the pain, BUt it was the first time in 18 months I saw him act anything like a human. He was walking and had energy. Do doctors just not prescribe any opioids for MS patients? If they do, what is the trick to get them? If ever anyone needed them he does. But I don't know how to help him anymore than go with him to the docs and testify that he is in agony. It is apparent he is in agony but because he can shuffle, they assume his is OK or something. Can Anyone help. PLEASE PLEASE. I cry every night and I cannot sleep either. I just sit with him and watch him smoke cigarettes and drink coffee and walk around or crawl depending. He also just started taking REbif so after he takes that, his whole body aches the next day. Miranda Arden
Miranda Arden is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote