View Single Post
Old 10-02-2007, 03:43 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Confused No Opiates for MS Pain? Searching desperately for HELP!

I know I am probably in the wrong site BUT I cannot get or find any info on the MS site. Hope someone here will know something because the problem here is horrific chronic intractable pain brought on apparently by neuropathy and L45 disc+ some arthritis in the spine. Even though I also am a chronic pain patient, my brother has been horribly suffering for 18 months. So far he has been on Neurontin, Lyrica, Baclafen, and Nortriptyline. The pain is worse at night and he gets no deep sleep. The Nortiptyline hasn't helped with pain but he at least gets about 4 hours of sleep from it. Doctors have told him to just take the Lyrica and Baclafen desipite bad side effects from both. Pain doc recommended Methodone but PCP refused to write it and told him to get a new doctor. I cannot bear to watch my brother crawl on the floor, crying, staying up all night desperate. From my perspective, I think they should give him some kind of opiates and I even read an article that studies show not only do they relieve MS symptoms but also show to slow down the progression of the disease. Is everyone against treating MS pain with opiates? What if what works for others doesn't work for him AND makes him so groggy, he doesn't even know what is going on, or he becomes incontinent from baclafen? Does anyone know if ANY doctor ever prescribes opiates for MS patients or has my brother just seen a bunch of idiots? Please help, or TRY if you can. My own pain is getting worse just watching him from the stress (which really does a number on all the different things wrong with me--but that is not as important right now--more on me later?)
Miranda
Miranda Arden is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote