View Single Post
Old 10-02-2007, 04:04 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Miranda,
The thing is I can believe how much pain he is in and many people here can as well. After 9 years of ever worsening pain that did not respond to Neurontin, Zanaflex, Oxycontin, Percocet, Valium, Codeine...I saw a neurosurgoen who ordered new MRIs of the spine and found that there was so much degeneration of a couple of vertebrae and discs that were all but gone due to the deterioration that I opted for a spinal fusion. I woke from the surgery free of that intense nerve pain for the first time in years and it has never returned in the 6 years since the surgery.

The pain in my hip and leg is getting to the point of numbness and tingling and I am grateful it has ramped down to that level. I was facing fusion of the lower back for this. The pain in arm and leg , although aggrivated by MS were caused by spinal stenosis and disc herniation compressing nerves. It was not caused by the MS.

Methadone may be the only reasonable option for him to get the pain managed at this point but I would recommend that he see a neurosurgeon to get another opinion. Spinal stenosis often requires surgical intervention or nerve blocks. (I am assuming he has tried such things as TENS units, PT, etc)

I hope he finds some relief soon as pain of the intensity you describe can cause severe depression and really sap the quality of life on a day to day basis.
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote