Thread: Flu Shots
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2007, 04:12 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I used to get it (before and after diagnosis) and always had a severe site reaction followed by days of weakness, vision and bladder problems, weakness. The last time (2001) I went into a full blown relapse that lasted more than 6 months. My docs are now advising I not get it again. Apparently the severe local reactions are from a sensitivity to eggs I did not realize I had. I'm talking swelling of the arm and a red, hot raised area up to 8 inches in diameter for 3-5 days after injection...not just a sore arm and achiness.

The recommendation is still to get the shot if you have not had serious side effects in the past. Two or three days of "flu-like " symptons post injection is not a reason to avoid the shot and the actual flu can literally kill a person with MS. Very few of us with MS who get the flu can avoid a lengthy hospitalization. People "think" they get the flu after the vaccine in some cases but true flu generally lasts with fever and extreme weakness for a minimum of a week and not just a few days. True flu is not like a cold. It feels like you are dying for days on end. The one time I got it, I was out of commission for more than two months.
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote