View Single Post
Old 10-03-2007, 08:15 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

My job for example requires that I have an excellent driving record. I work for an auto dealership and am frequently driving company and customer vehicles. It may be for very short distances (50 feet or less) or for 30 miles, so for insurance purposes I have to maintain a stellar driving record. I disclosed my medical history to a previous auto dealership I worked for and they were actually the most understanding out of everyone. Tho' at the time I had been seizure free after surgery and was also unmedicated. They actually respected me for what I had been through and didn't have a problem with my memory issues. The job was pretty set in a daily routine which I think really helped to minimize with any memory issues.

I have to add that I very very rarely have a seizure now and when I do they are confined to simple partials (auras) unless I am at a concert or am around loud music with particular notes. Then they are complex partials at most. I am medicated for both the seizures and migraines so I don't really feel its necessary to tell them about the seizures because they aren't really the issue, the memory is. I'm of no harm to anyone else or myself and try to control my environment pretty strictly (the music, lights).

Most employers aren't brave enough to outright fire someone for seizures or memory issues, they will however make conditions undesirable enough to "weed you out" and make you leave on your own. I know those tactics, I've been in management. They work quite well. Illegal but successful. Hard to prove in court however. Regardless, who has the time or the money to pursue it let alone the energy?