View Single Post
Old 10-04-2007, 12:06 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Usually, the best advice is to stay with the doctor you know and who knows you. Sometimes, however, this may not be true.

I tend to think that we are buyers and the medical professionals are sellers. When it comes to buying things, I read labels, and if it's something expensive or important, I do research, etc. So why should it be any different with doctors.

There are some articles out there that discuss what constitutes a good doctor-patient relationship. Perhaps others who participate in this forum can contribute their ideas about what make for a good relationship. For me, one of the most important things is communication. If I don't feel that my doctor is listening to me, well, that's reason enough to seek other options.

I think I made the mistake of being certain that I had PD. This seemed to anger my former doctor and we were never able to recover the relationship. The unwritten rule is that diagnoses are the exclusive domain of the doctors. After realizing this, I had to acknowledge that my approach needed rethinking.

I believe, though, that as patients, we are entitled to some explanation. I think it's OK to say to our doctor: "I feel awful. Can you make me feel better? Can you explain what is happening to me?" Give them the facts and demand results. Their job is to help us or heal us or at least make us feel better. If they are not doing it, then, in my opinion, it's time to find another doctor.

Oh, by the way, I was diagnosed with PD about two weeks ago. It's odd that it feels like a victory. A person would have to be crazy to want to have PD. However, because I fought so long and so hard with the doctors it does feel like I won in the end. Strange, huh?

Karl
K.Ibsen is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote