View Single Post
Old 09-28-2006, 04:48 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Anne,

I like the way you think, too!

I think I’m following what you’re saying. I, too, believe proprioception is a big part of this conundrum.

A couple of years ago, there were times when walking on a flat surface, it felt like I was walking up and down hills. And when I stood, it felt like I was standing on the side of a hill. It was so bizarre and awful. I think my proprioceptors were out lunch those hours.

I think there’s more than disruption of proper sensory feedback at play. I’ve read that speech problems are not related to the dopaminergic system. But, I believe that mine may be. I think it has to do with overactivation of some of the muscles in my jaw, my tongue. I can’t say “buy bobby a puppy” without my mouth going into contortions. Something is overstimulating certain muscles, I think.

My speech gets worse as the day goes on, and I believe the less dopamine I have available, late in the day, does affect the way I speak. I do think the bands stimulate a part of my brain that gets that hypertonia under control so I can speak much better.

With the band on my leg, my balance seems improved. I’ve read that postural problems are not related to the dopaminergic system. Is the banding effect the same in theory for rigidity, akinesia, dystonia, speech, balance?

The banding may work in a few different ways; or there may be one overall effect that improves all of these symptoms.

I think it may be in the area of the brain that involves preplanning. I find that if I repeat “buy bobby a puppy” over and over in my head, i.e. consciously planning, I’m able to say it! But just once. I can’t say it twice. I need to preplan again.

To overcome difficulty initiating movement, when I stand up to walk, I imagine myself walking and I count in my head, and it helps me get going. I need to preplan my action consciously.

I think the sensory feedback from the bands stimulates an underactive part of the brain and activates a different motor pathway than we were using, which activates our muscles to work properly. Thus, dystonia, rigidity, akinesia have a foe to deal with now because the biofeedback bands awoke and rallied some of our troops!

It's possible that defective proprioceptive feedback inhibits closed loop control of our movements. We need closed loop control to work because the open loop control isn't working right either. The biofeedback from the bands may allow us to use closed loop control, which requires feedback, and our muscles start to work correctly.

Again, the example of Rick being about to stand for a long time with the bands: closed loop control is required when standing for a long time (from research I read). 'Normally', Rick could not stand for a long time, probably because his closed loop control was not working correctly, possibly because his proprioceptive feedback was confused. With the banding, proper feedback was restored, and the closed loop control of his muscles could take effect. Thus, he can stand for hours with the banding.

~Zuccchini

There are only three colors, 10 digits, and seven notes; it's what we do with them that's important.
~John Rohn

Last edited by ZucchiniFlower; 09-28-2006 at 05:39 PM.
ZucchiniFlower is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote