Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb regarding PT....

I had 3 mos of PT last fall/winter.

And I learned quite a bit.

1) They do not like giving massages. That is not what they are trained for,
and actually I was told, they resent it.

2) I had IFc and ultrasound alot....this was wonderful. Very healing.

3) there are "gung ho" types... of therapist. I had a gentle one and she
was really good. Allowed me to heal without pushing. (AGE is a factor for me
so we heal more slowly).

4) You can buy a wonderful massager...some of us on PN bought this last spring. I use it for muscle relaxation...since I have "hot spots" like trigger points sometimes. It really releases them quickly. And it doesn't cost an arm or a leg, and you have it at home for whenever you need it.
It is called a Magnassger. My mail carrier gets treatments at his Chiro with this and was amazed when he delivered it to me!
http://www.magnassager.com/

MelodyL on PN here also uses it for her husband.

5) People who are hypermobile, have more problems than people who are more tightly tendoned (like me)... each have unique problems. I have problems stretching, but the hypermobile people over extend and damage tissue that way. My therapist said, hypermobile patients have more back issues as they age (and I believe that, since my back has always been a low problem area inspite of horrible arthritic changes in X-rays for me).

The expectations for my healing were underestimated. I am finally better now, a YEAR later, but they were pushing me to a 6mo recovery schedule. So in the end we decided I would be released, and work on my own. I was getting alot of pain in my knees from their extreme stretching...so by doing it myself, I had to heal my knees up from the PT...not a nice way to go.

Each person is different. I would also make sure that nutritional status is taken care of. Vit C and copper are crucial for collagen/tendon support.
Also SAMe is a great help for arthritis/joint issues.

I don't like water therapy either...I almost drowned when I was little, and I have always had a water phobia. I've had some desensitization for it..so I can deal with it some...but not a full cure. Many people like the water therapy however, and it is easier on the joints.

Don't underestimate food intolerances/pain/arthritis issues. I have been gluten free (no wheat) for 2 yrs now but was surprised to find out that citrus, esp
orange juice really was adding to my woes. I cut out all orange products in June and my knees just quit hurting within a month. I believe that many chronic ills, or autoimmune issues can be traced to reactions to food.
Visit our Gluten forum, and The Gluten File for a taste of how complex it can get...and how simple a solution can be found. But it is not simple to change the lifestyle appropriately, since we all have "comfort foods"... and it is very very hard to give those up.

There is a very good book by a physican who specializes is obesity, but she also has good information on elimination diets for health:
www.obesitysanswer.com
Her book goes into great detail, and that is where I suspected the orange juice (which I was really addicted to).

Fibro patients have been found to have low B12 in the spinal cord fluid.
So attention to B12 (see our vitamin forum) may help some of you.
http://www.immunesupport.com/healthw...8/98sum003.cfm

I was one of those women who had that general diagnosis of maybe fibro, many years ago. At that time, it was not as commonly recognized as today. When I started supplements in earnest over 10 yrs ago, most of my muscle issues resolved. I use high potassium containing foods,
good magnesium sources, 500mg Vit c, carnitine when exercising alot, and B12 and methylfolate now. (EFAs are now in foods, but then I used fish oil and flax oil as well). I get my EFAs from food now. When I did this, the suspected fibro
diagnosis, became history.

PT is a mixed experience...it all depends on who you get as a therapist.
That is why you see so many posts on it.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote