View Single Post
Old 10-05-2007, 03:20 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi back to you Miranda! Yes, I find it very comforting coming here since everyone knows what it's like having MS. No matter how much we try to explain to our friends, family -- and doctors -- they just don't "get it". And Fibromyalgia....that's even worse! At least some doctors are beginning to believe that it's not "all in our heads"!

I've tried some of the narcotics like oxycontin, and others that I can't remember the names of, lol, Neurontin, Elavil. Had the trigger point injections but they hurt so much I almost threw up and passed out from the pain. Needless to say I didn't go back there again! Tried some of the NSAIDS. Have you gone to the fibromyalgia board here? Some people have good results with Lyrica, but my GP said he doesn't like that drug. It can have nasty side effects. Does your brother have problems with spasms? They really interfere with sleeping -- my legs just stiffen out too much and then I get them in my spine, which majorly hurt!!

Went to a pain clinic a few years ago, but they just had the same suggestions I'd already tried. Actually they mentioned acupuncture, that's why I started the thread here to see if anyone had tried it. Some people have said it helps the bladder issues too.

May I ask how old you two are? I'm a grandma of six. Had three kids of my own but have been divorced since 1990, the same year I was diagnosed with MS. No stress there!! I'm 63 for another couple weeks -- keep wondering how that happened????

My goodness -- that sounds like a horrible surgery you had! Guess you know how a fish feels. All that growing inside you and nobody noticed!!! You're right though, once you get a "label" every little thing gets blamed on that and many times they don't look past it. We really have to be our own advocates and keep speaking up. That's difficult for me since I've always been more on the quiet side, but I've learned it's true, "the squeaky wheel gets the oil".

Is your brother still mobile? Can't remember if you told us that before. This year I've had to stop driving since my legs are so stiff, can't get them in the car. When I go outside via the ramp I had built in the garage, I give my car a "pat" and hope maybe someday. I do live alone with the help of a couple friends who come one afternoon a week and more if I need something like meds, groceries, etc. Two of my married kids live 1-1/2 hour away and have their own families and the third lives in Ohio.

I've been getting IV steroids two days, every two months just for a little boost. It's hard on the bones, but right now it seems the lesser of the two evils. Have to use Decadron since I'm allergic to Solumedrol which is the usual. Also had bad reactions to the MS injectables, Betaseron, Avonex, Novantrone.

Whew, this turned into a book. If you want to PM me, feel free. It's good "talking" with you. Both of you take care.

.....Judy
SPMS -- FIBROMYALGIA -- Ouch! and Ouch!
Judy2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote