Thread: Diagnosing CD.
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2007, 08:35 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Cara and darlindeb25 - your input is much appreciated.

Similar to you darlindeb, I left the neurologists office about five weeks ago totally devastated as she made me feel that there was absolutely nothing wrong with me. Why she couldn't have said something like "well we have eliminated the most debilitating large fibre/demyelinating neuropathies - which is very good news, so we are now probably looking at this being a small fibre neuropathy problem".....I would have felt some validation of my symptoms. However I sat in the consultation room stunned as she said that all the tests were normal, then virtually dismissed me. I'm sitting there thinking "is that it - what happens now?"

So as probably many of you have done before me I'm not content to accept that there is not a diagnosable cause...so I am trying to read as many papers on the various causes of SFN as possible. Of course it may come down to it being idiopathic in the end and I will have to accept that, but NOT while there are still blatant gaps in the testing which has been done to date.

Cara I now have a fews days reading to do on CD (thanks for those article links). I will continue to add to my list of 'what I would like tested' when I see another neuro in December. The problem is ones confidence gets quite shattered during events like my visit to the first neurologist and I'm afraid that this next neuro expert may not like the fact that I have done some researching of this PN while I have been waiting for the appointment and thus treat me like a 'neurotic' or a 'psycho' - lol! I know I will have to be very diplomatic.

It's quite unbelievable that a person can have coeliac without GI symptoms. I definitely have a lot to learn!
Megan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote