Thread: Hearing Loss?
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2007, 12:06 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Interesting. A couple of years before my motor symptoms really started to become an issue, I started losing my hearing. I was diagnosed with something called osteosclorosis, which basically means the bones in your ears that vibrate to transmit sound (anvil, hammer, stirrup) have calcified and hardened. When they test my hearing through my ears, I've lost about 50%. But when they test my hearing from behind my ears on my orbital bones, then it's perfectly normal. They say it's hereditary, so maybe check your family history. There is no cure except for a highly risky surgery that has serious side effects like facial paralysis, permanent loss of hearing, and permanent vertigo. Yay!

I have noticed a number of people with PD who also have hearing issues. Coincidence? Who knows...

It reminds me of when I was talking to a nationally recognized MDS once about young-onset PD patients and migraines. He said there was no research to back that up but that now that I mentioned it, he realized that a great number of his patients had this issue.

My guess is, there's still so much we don't know about PD, the brain, and resulting issues like this (hearing loss, migraines, etc.) that we may never get the answers we seek. So frustrating...

And as a side note, I threw vanity out the window years ago. I wear hearing aids, they suck, but at least I can hear most things now.

Todd is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote