View Single Post
Old 10-06-2007, 12:17 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

When my doctor finally allowed me to begin PT one month after my surgery I saw a Physical Therapist who was great (I had to search long and hard to find someone in my area who had experiance with TOS) and consulted with an amazing trainer who had rehabed professional athletes with TOS.

The goals given to me were: regain equal strength in my upper body (since I had been compinsating with my left side for a month after surgery) AND do excersises so this wouldnt ever happen to my left side as well. Here is where it got tricky, they think that being overly muscular due to the sports I do, is what may have contibuted to me getting TOS in the first place, so I had to be very careful not to build any extra unneeded muscule in the upper front shoulder area and in the pec muscles, so excersises like push-ups are not an option for me, ever.

In a nut shell, I was given lots of excersises to build up my upper back muscles to improve posture to keep the shoulders back and the Thoracic Outlet area open. It was a lot of hard tedious work, but it paid off and I am nearly back to normal. I would suggest seeing a Physical Therapist who could show you the exact excersises that would work best for you.
mtnmom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote