View Single Post
Old 10-06-2007, 04:46 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Sorry to hear of your troubles. I've never had a SCS because my RSD was never localized enough to make a difference, or so I was told. However, if you run a search in this forum under "spinal cord stimulators" or "SCS" you'll pull up a lot of anecdotal reports. For an immense treasury of articles on the subject, go to the RSDSA Medical Articles Archive page at http://www.rsds.org/2/library/articl...ive/index.html and scroll down to those articles listed under the heading "Spinal Cord Stimulation."

For what it's worth, here's a complete list of my own RSD related prescription meds:
1. Neurontin (gabapentin) (600 mg.) [1-2/day]*
2. Xanax (0.5 mg. 5/day) [a benzodiazepine which, although the studies have shown only equivical results, has tremendously helped me with shooting nerve pain]
3. Oxycodone (5 mg.) [approx. 4/day]
4. Oxycontin (20 mg.) [2 afternoon/as needed]
5. Baclofen (10 mg.) [4 tablets/day]**
6. Ketamine 5%, Lidocaine 5% and Gabapentin 5% gel [4 - 5 ml./foot, 2-3/day]
7. Marinol (5 mg.) [1 capsule by mouth two times per day and 1 to 2 at bedtime] [synthetic THC, taken only as needed]
8. Zometa (zoledronic acid) [periodic intravenous infusions of an improved version of Pamidronate, great for deep "bone crushing pain," not sure if it's available in the UK, although I know that Pamidronate is, it's just not as effective as Zometa]
9. Naloxone HCL (Narcan) (.4 mg. (1.0 cc) orally concurrently with oxycodone/Oxycontin to block intestinal opioid receptors)
10. Erythromycin E.E.S. 200 200/5ml [1 ml. in a.m. to assist peristalsis re opioids]
11. Namenda (memantine HCL) (10 mg.) [3/day] [to try and stave off loss of brain gray matter secondary to chronic pain, also helps with general alertness]
12. Razadyne (galantamine HBr) (16 mg) [1/day] [as above, but no discernable effect on alertness]
* I find that our mutual drug, Neurontin, causes too much drowziness for my taste hence my reduction in use from what was 2,400 mg./day. Unfortunately, when I was on an alternative, Trileptal, it caused a dangerous drop in my blood sodium levels, and I've heard enough things about Topomax to keep me from ever trying it, especially with my history of glaucoma.

** Baclofen acts on the spinal cord nerves and decreases the number and severity of muscle spasms caused by CNS disorders. It also relieves pain and improves muscle movement, at the cost, however, of a little amnesia in some people, to the point that I couldn't take it while I was working has an attorney. But now that I am "retired" it's a different story.
I also take a gram of Magnesium a day. Many people on the board are also into a host of other nutritional supplements, while others are getting ketamine infusions, but those I'm told, sadly, are NOT available in the UK.

Good luck and stay in touch!

Mike

Last edited by fmichael; 10-06-2007 at 09:46 PM. Reason: sp
fmichael is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote