View Single Post
Old 10-06-2007, 07:53 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamster View Post
Well I am coming to accept that I don't have what it really takes to become a published writer, I am going to give up on it.
Dear Pam,
It is hard to get published in isolation.

Are you living near a big-ish city where you could hook up with some writers organizations? Romance and Mystery writers often find each other and get together to offer tips, read sections of their work to each other, and to offer support. Also children's book writers and sci fi/fantasy writers find each other. There are also groups for people who write in other genres.
For example here is the blurb for the Tampa Writers Alliance:

http://www.tampawriters.org/
Quote:
The Tampa Writers Alliance is an organization of writers in the Tampa Bay area covering many genres and levels of experience.

The Alliance membership includes published novelists, travel book authors, feature and newspaper journalists, and others who are just beginning to write or just have an interest in the literary world.
All enjoy the networking opportunities, programs and peer critiques offered by the various work groups.

Membership is open to all adults, and the public is invited to attend all general meetings. The Alliance supports the community as judges for the Hillsborough Teachers of English annual writing contest and through workshops and presentations to schools about writing.

You don't have to try to do this by yourself.
Mari