View Single Post
Old 09-28-2006, 07:22 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara View Post
This might sound like a strange question but I have a serious concern. I have had close relatives with Alzheimer's. One was my father's mother, and the other was my father's sister. My own mother and father died when I was very young so of course have no idea how either of their health would have been into middle or old age. My question is really about memory loss and natural aging without Alzheimer's as opposed to memory loss and deterioration with Alzheimer's. To cut a long message short... if a person was to develop AD, does there come a time when that person realizes that something is going seriously wrong or is it usually so gradual at first that it might creep up before we know it?
Hi Lara, good to be "talking again". I'm not sure I can answer your question but if I don't get the job done, I'm sure someone else will have an answer. Lets see if I got it right first.

I'm learning more and more every day about these things, it really gets depressing at times Alzheimer patients go from one end of the spectrum to the other. For instance, MIL was one of the sweetest, nicest people I have ever known.

Around the time we moved her her personality begun to change. She got very hard to handle. I think she knew she was not being nice, but as to how much I couldn't say. poor thing, it would have killed her had she known she beat me up. lol. She was so fragile, could hardly walk but it was like pulling the blinds, something just came over her face, I learned quickly to get out of reach. Sometimes I didn't make it. She was as strong as an ox.

I would say after a fashion she knew things wern't right but if we tried to work with her she got worse. Most of the time now she just stares blankly and ignores you. I don't feel bad at her, my heart hurts for her. She looks so puzzled and scared. I just want to take all the pain away.

I don't know about the other Lara and don't feel I answered the first one.

I do know her neuro would always tell hubby if a new something came out that could possible arrest the disease or help them not get it at all. He didn't know, but at least he gave husband a choice. At 1 point Vit. E was all the rage. We both worry or better word try to be aware of these things. there is so much we don't know. I read some interesting things over in Dr.Grohol's site this morn. very interesting.
JoJo6 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote