Thread: Cogentin
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2007, 06:59 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Cogentin

Recently, I posted about my pwp (Doreen) having Comtan elimiminated from her PD medication regimen to try to determine if this was the "culprit" medication that was causing confusion, lack of concentration, short-term memory loss and disorientation...and I believe I was able to "report" to you that since eliminating the Comtan, she is decidedly better...but, there are certain times when the cognitive problems seem to be present...for short periods of time...and now, I wonder about the other medication that she's taking specifically geared to controlling tremor, i.e., Cogentin...could this be causing similar problems, though to a much lesser degree since it, too, has some of the cognitive side effects that Comtan does. Tremor has been her dominant (actually, her ONLY symptom for over 10 years with the recent exception of what we believe to be Sinemet-induced dyskinesia..and since starting the Cogentin, her tremor is almost nil so that we feel that the Cogentin is most probably the reason for this...but, now...I'm questioning its use in that it DOES have some of the cognitive side effects that the Comtan has. I'm just curious as to whether anyone, here, has ever taken Cogentin. It is an anticholinergic medication (Benztropine) and is in the oldest class of medications to treat PD. I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has ever taken Cogentin or knows anything about this medication. You see...I'm bound and determined to find the best possible medication regimen possible for Doreen. I know that it is a huge task...that it is a huge challenge...but, I have taken it on as part of my caregiving responsibility to make her life the best that it can be. Thankfully, her neurologist doesn't object to my input and, in fact, welcomes it. He is well aware that I search and research a great deal...and he is also very well aware that so much of what I bring to the office visits comes from this forum where I an "in touch" with "real live" pwp's and their personal experiences and expertise. Thank you for any information you may have pertaining to Cogentin.

Therese
Virginia Therese is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote